This distribution includes the Java code of PhilologEg,
as well as resources on several Egyptian texts.
For viewing the included corpus and building your own corpus,
the following suffices:
- Make sure Java 1.5 or later is installed on your machine. The software
should work irrespective of platform (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X).
- Create a new directory (a.k.a. 'folder').
- Download PhilologEg-0.*.jar
and store it in above-mentioned directory.
- One may now view the St Andrews corpus, or create a new corpus.
Whether one prefers to do this using a command-line interface
or using the mouse pointer depends on the platform (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X).
- With command-line (preferred for Linux, also Mac OS X):
- For viewing the St Andrews corpus, execute from the command-line:
java -jar PhilologEg-0.*.jar
- For editing a particular corpus, provide an existing corpus file e.g.:
java -jar PhilologEg-0.*.jar mypath/corpusdir/corpus.xml
- With mouse (preferred for Windows, also Mac OS X):
- Click on PhilologEg-0.*.jar to view the St Andrews corpus.
- To view another corpus if it is available (e.g. your own),
click open and find appropriate XML file.
Before creating a new corpus,
it is advisable to create a new directory with
four subdirectories named align,
pdf, resources, texts.
Then open the corpus viewer (by command-line or by mouse click),
click open, navigate to the
appropriate main directory, and enter as corpus file name
for example corpus.xml.
- Further read the help pages by clicking on the help button
of the corpus viewer.
Instructions for advanced use
If you want to look at the source code, use specialised features, or
change default settings:
- Execute (in command-line): jar xf PhilologEg-0.*.jar,
or unpack the jar file using WinZip or WinRAR (on Windows).
- Follow the instructions in the readme file.
- Version 0.5.14 (2020-07-09):
- Added Unicode functionality.
- Version 0.5.13 (2018-12-02):
- Fixed bugs in Lexical Annotator and OCR tool.
- Introduced 3D functionality.
- Version 0.5.12 (2016-01-28):
- Version 0.5.11 (2015-11-08):
- Fixed problem with boxes in OCR tool, and added IFAO prototypes.
- Updated readme file.
- Added PDF output for ResToImage.
- Version 0.5.10 (2015-05-23):
- Made corrections to orthographic model.
- Version 0.5.9 (2015-04-02):
- Refined orthographic model.
- Version 0.5.8 (2015-02-09):
- Fixed problem with information windows.
- Refined orthographic annotator.
- Version 0.5.7 (2014-12-29):
- Fixed problem with shading of complex groups.
- Fixed bug in RES editor.
- Fixed display of empty hieroglyphic groups.
- Version 0.5.6 (2014-08-28):
- Fixed problem with access to inner JAR file.
- Version 0.5.5 (2014-08-27):
- New type of resource for lexical annotation.
- Interface to lexicon.
- Code to create web pages.
- Version 0.5.4 (2014-07-08):
- Functionality added to link text and images.
- Various improvements to GUI and code structure.
- Version 0.5.3 (2014-04-24):
- OCR functionality completed.
- Prototypes for OCR are now included.
- Patch to RES editor.
- Version 0.5.2 (2013-12-29):
- Tool for OCR of handwritten hieroglyphic transcriptions.
- Version 0.5.1 (2013-11-15):
- Transition from Java 1.4 to Java 1.5.
- Fixed problem with last-modified date.
- Patch to transliteration font.
- Tools for orthographic annotation.
- Version 0.5.0 (2011-12-22):
- xscale and yscale implemented in RES.
- Version 0.4.5 (2010-08-05):
- Patch for Java version 7 and Web addresses.
- Patch to fix bounding box for EPS output.
- ResToImage reimplemented, to accommodate for REStex and REShtml.
- Version 0.4.4 (2010-01-24):
- Added framework for joint translations.
- Added choice between hieroglyphic fonts.
- Corrected two minor bugs in RES editor.
- Corrected bugs in hyperlinks.
- Corrected bug in manual alignment.
- Corrected bug that arose in Windows path names with spaces.
- Version 0.4.3 (2009-09-11):
- Corrected bug with note in empty glyph.
- Close of corpus blocked when resource is open.
- Corrected transliteration fonts.
- Improved scrolling upon reformat.
- Version 0.4.2 (2009-08-31):
- Solved problems with character encoding and keyboard shortcuts.
- Solved problem with focus in glyph chooser.
- Version 0.4.1 (2009-08-23):
- Corrected two minor bugs in RES editor.
- Corrected bug in resource editor.
- Circumvented Java bug affecting path names in Windows.
- Corrected incompatibility Linux versus Windows in text panes.
- Circumvented problems with entities in HTML output.
- Version 0.4.0 (2009-08-18):
- Renamed data formats and software to PhilologEg.
- Almost complete reimplementation of data formats, alignment and rendering.
- Editing of corpus now completely with graphical user interface.
- Version 0.3.3 (2009-01-07):
- Corrected minor bugs in RES editor, and extended
some features. Corrected bugs in RES rendering.
- Implemented automatic conversion from MdC format to RES/AELalign.
- Started transition to RES 0.4.
- New hieroglyphic font.
- Version 0.3.2 (2008-07-03):
- Corrected minor bugs in RES editor.
- Version 0.3.1 (2007-01-22):
- Introduced Ant.
- Introduced RES editor.
- Added the possibility to include external TrueType fonts in export
to PDF, to accommodate for e.g. the Polish script.
- Corrected orientation of sign L3 in font.
- Version 0.3 (2005-08-15):
- For AELalign 0.3.
- Incorporates ResToImage for RES 0.3.
- Version 0.2.3 (2005-06-13):
- Added facilities for hieroglyphic and transliteration in resource windows.
- No more pixelization of hieroglyphic in PDF.
- Version 0.2.2 (2005-04-29):
- For AELalign 0.2.
- Programmed in Java.
- Version 0.1 (December 2000):
- For AELalign 0.1.
- Programmed in Perl. Now obsolete.